Friday, February 14, 2014

Retail solidarity

I am at the airport. I realized I don't have any earbuds, so I stopped into one of the stores to get some. They were doing a fundraiser where you could buy a phone card to send to soldiers overseas.

"Sure," I said. "That sounds nice." The register jockey was surprised and delighted.

"I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG FOR SOMEONE TO SAY YES," she said.

There is nothing more disheartening than soliciting donations at a retailer. We were doing one dollar donations for a research hospital over Christmas, and while the company did raise a lot of money, many people would throw a fit and shout things like "THAT HOSPITAL SHOULD GIVE *ME* A DOLLAR." Umm... why? For being an asshole? Not everyone has a dollar to spare, but that doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to cancer patients.

Speaking of jerks, the guy in front of me at Starbucks just now made the "IF IT DOESN'T SCAN IT MUST BE FREE LOL" joke.

Fuck that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment