Monday, December 9, 2013

So, the Video Game Awards happened

Because I am sort of a video game maybe journalist, it is my sworn responsibility to write about Events in the Video Game Industry, or whatever. And it just so happened that last night was the formerly-known-as Spike TV Video Game Awards! It took me a weirdly long time to find a list of the winners, but they are here:

Hey, this is a link to the 2013 award winners

Very predictable- Grand Theft Auto V deserved to win Game of the Year. One thing I don't get is, though Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World are both awesome and ambitious games that I own personally, they only came out on November 22nd. How are they eligible for "best of the year" awards when they've barely been out three weeks?

Of course, the VGAs are notoriously disorganized. I like to imagine that this is what the Oscars were like, Back In The Day.

I have mixed feelings about Ni no Kuni taking home Best RPG, too, because I feel like it's a nostalgia vote. The game is beautiful and amazing, but it's also aggressively traditional. The same game with less pretty visual and audio effects could easily have been made a decade ago, and the story structure is lifted right out of 90s classics like old Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. I love traditional RPGs as much as the next girl, but I also accept that the genre has moved on. I mean, I'd even put Skylanders in the RPG category over the "casual" category. You know, because it's an RPG, and a very well-made one, too.

None of that really matters though, because WHY THE HELL DID WILLEM DAFOE NOT WIN BEST  MALE VOICE ACTOR?

Willem Dafoe at the Beyond: Two Souls release. From zimbio.com

THERE IS NO "SECOND BEST."

THERE IS NO "OTHER FAVORITE."

THERE IS ONLY DAFOE.

No comments:

Post a Comment