Tuesday, January 1, 2013

No, sir, this is how it always works

Yesterday, a man came in with a coupon that was set to expire on 12/31/12. Ok, that's cool- I tell him the coupon is still good and he's welcome to go buy some stuff. He then pulls out a disgusting old receipt.

It's from March.

"I'm going to use this with the coupon," he says. The coupon in question was a BOGO type deal, so basically, he wanted me to give him a free game.

"I'm sorry, but I can't use that coupon with that purchase," I said.

"I don't understand," he said. "The coupon is still valid."

"Yes, but we can only do price adjustments within seven days of purchase."

"The coupon is still good and I want to use it with this purchase."

"I can't apply a coupon to something you bought nine months ago."

We continued to go around in a circle like this for a while. He pulled out a "that's not what the other guy said," which was funny because there weren't any "guys" working that day. He made me look up his purchase history to see if there was anything that applied, which there wasn't- wouldn't you remember if you'd shopped in the store in the past week? He finally gave up and pulled out the customer flounce.

"THIS IS CRAZY! Fine! I'm just going to throw it away!"

I'd feel bad for him if that weren't the policy at literally every retailer on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment