Sunday, July 14, 2013

One more step towards the Video Game Olympics

Apparently, the United States government is recognizing professional League of Legends players as athletes, for the purpose of obtaining visas to participate in competitions here in the States. I wouldn't consider video games a "sport" in the traditional sense, but since we don't have a great legal framework yet for international gaming competitions, I'd say this is a good stopgap measure.

It also led me to search for how you obtain a visa for a chess competition, since those have been going on for forever. Generally, for the U.S. at least, it seems like you're just expected to get a regular old travel visa. But, lo and behold, chess is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee

This entire post is only here so I can tell everyone that my dad is a professional athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment