Tuesday, July 16, 2013

This is news to no one who's been paying attention

Turns out, it's basically impossible for someone to survive on minimum wage. I think my favorite is that this spreadsheet is for McDonald's employees to use to budget their peasant wages, but the budget includes income from a second job. 

Really, bro?

I make above minimum wage, but only because I'm a manager. I'm almost 25, and my parents still pay for my insurance and my phone. And then, of course, my job cut my hours down to less than 30 a week, because they were worried they might have to pay for health insurance for me.

When I confronted my district manager about it, he told me it was Obama's fault, and that I was welcome to look for a second job.

True story.

2 comments:

  1. I heard "welcome.to look for a second job" more times than I care to think about. I certainly hope that whole bit isn't the official company line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's every corporate retailer's official company line.

    ReplyDelete