Wednesday, November 20, 2013

On the subject of hard drives

Today, a man came in to buy Grand Theft Auto V. Much like many other games that have come out this year, GTA V requires a partial install to play. So, I ask this guy if he has 8 GB of free space on his system.

"What's the basic amount?"

"...4 GB," I said.

"Yeah, I had one of those hard drives but I sold it to some kid." Super. "I can't play Grand Theft Auto at all?"

"No. It requires an 8 GB install."

"Why!?"

"Game developers have hit the limit of what the 360 can do," I said. "GTA V is too big a game to run off of a disc. You can't even play Battlefield 4 without a real hard drive. "

"How can they do that!?"

"...it's not their fault that you sold your hard drive."

He ended up buying GTA V and a 16 GB flash drive, only to return twenty minutes later to return it because he "couldn't justify spending that much."

"I'd rather just put that money towards a One," he said.

"You can't play Grand Theft Auto V on an Xbox One," I said. If he understood me or cared, he didn't show it.

And, naturally, he paid with a Visa gift card, so we got to go through the whole song and dance about how Visa gift cards aren't refundable as Visa gift cards. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment