Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Call of Duty is here

Got home from the midnight release. It was surprisingly calm, as was the double release for Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV. I have a creeping sense of dread that everyone's waiting to buy all this crap for the new consoles, a week from now.

If I get mauled by holiday shoppers, tell my family that I love them.

We have a sort of tradition at my store where we give out prizes to people who know our names. Sometimes we have real trivia, or a raffle, but we always do the super secret special trivia question:

"WHAT IS MY NAME?"

Our names print at the top of every receipt for every transaction we do, so even if we're not wearing name tags, it's easy to find if you think about it. And all of us except The Veteran have extremely common names. Besides, it's a fun Get To Know Your Game Store Register Jockey activity, and it's all in good fun.

None of the people in the first line group knew who I was. It's the Call of Duty people- they come in once a year.

"It's a really common name," I hinted. "Really common." Someone guessed it almost immediately. We gave him his prize- a Call of Duty tchotchke. He didn't even want it, so he gave it to a kid in line. And while all this is happening, an older gentleman in the front shouts:

"THAT IS NOT A COMMON NAME."

Trust me when I say I have a common name. There were at least three of me in every class growing up.

"It is for people my age," I said. "It was the number one girl's name in the country every year for over a decade in the 80s and 90s." He grumbled a bit, took his game, and left.

On the plus side, almost everyone in that first group thanked me by name when I handed them their games. It was actually really sweet.

Thanks, customers! You're all right.

Even if you do play Call of Duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment