Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Well, since I have a computer

I can spend all my time playing INTERNET FLASH GAMES!

Like this one: The Organ Trail!

When you were playing Oregon Trail as a kid, were you ever like, man, I wish these were zombies instead of bears? And I wish this were a station wagon instead of a Conestoga wagon? And I wish I could kill my party members myself? But I still want people to die of dysentery?

WISH GRANTED!

A screenshot of Organ Trail.

You start in Washington D.C. and head west to California, where you hear there's a refuge for survivors. But when you get there- SPOILER ALERT- instead of rafting down the river, you get to fight through a horde of zombies to collect enough fuel to get the gate working. On the way, you fight through hordes of zombies to scavenge groceries and shopping carts. You also get to cross hordes of zombies instead of rivers. (Your options are "sneak through," and "fight a way through with all your guns out." The second one is more fun.)

I love the art, too. It takes a lot of skill to parody a different art style, especially one so simple and outdated, and they did a great job.

I did buy the "Director's Cut" for $4.99 on Steam, and while the extra content is neat (you can upgrade your car, and do zombie-killing sidequests for money), it's pretty clearly designed for mobile apps, not PC. I don't like the drag-and-release shooting. Gimme back my space bar! But on a mobile app, it's good.

I actually bought a ton of indie games on my Wii U somewhat-recently, and I've been meaning to write about them, but I haven't gotten a chance until today. So, introducing my new post tag: the indie gaming hour! It and the retro gaming hour are BFFs.

I've always been a firm believer that "more simple" does not mean "less fun." (I've spent more time playing Desktop Tower Defense than is probably healthy. What up, Desktop Tower Defense!) As much as people like to disparage "casual gamers," I, for one, welcome our new casual gaming overlords. And, who knows? A lot more of those people would be willing to branch out into "hardcore" gaming if said games weren't all based around what angry teenage boys want to play.

I'm looking at you, Call of Duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment